Brain and spinal cord injuries can impair you or a loved one, both physically and financially. If you’ve suffered because of another person or company’s negligence, then you need Attorney Dean Phillips to help you obtain the compensation that you deserve.
What Can Cause Spinal Cord Injuries?
The Mayo Clinic lists the most common causes for these types of injuries:
- Vehicle accidents
- Falls, particularly for people over age 65
- Violent acts such as gunshot wounds and knife wounds
- Sports-related accidents, especially diving
- Diseases such as cancer, arthritis and osteoporosis
Conditions arising from spinal cord injuries aren’t always immediate and may take time to manifest. Getting treatment as soon as possible could reduce complications and potentially shorten your recovery time.
What Can Happen after a Spinal Cord Injury?
These types of injuries have multiple consequences, many of which can detract from your quality of life. You may be fortunate and merely sustain a sprain or whiplash, or you could have the following issues:
- Change in or loss of bladder and bowel control
- Change in circulatory control such as a drop in your blood pressure when you rise (orthostatic hypotension)
- Change in respiratory system such as breathing difficulty
- Paraplegia or tetraplegia (commonly known as quadriplegia)
- Loss of skin sensation such as the ability to feel heat or cold
- Change in muscle tone such as muscles tightening or becoming limp
- Sexual dysfunction such as an inability to become erect or become pregnant
- Issues with nerve pain
- Ruptured and herniated discs
- Degenerative disc disease
- Emotional distress such as depression resulting from the limitations place on you
The injuries sustained from damage to the spinal cord can have lasting financial impact, too.
What Can Cause Brain Injuries
With recent news of sports-related concussions, most of us are probably aware of the devastating effects of brain damage. The Mayo Clinic provides a list of possible causes:
- Vehicle accidents
- Violence such as gunshot wounds or domestic abuse
- Sports injuries, particularly those involving contact
- Combat-related injuries such as explosive blasts
Brain injuries usually range from mild to severe, but all require medical attention as soon as possible.
What Can Happen after a Brain Injury?
Brain injuries can result in a multitude of issues including death. If you’ve sustained this type of damage, you may experience:
- Loss of consciousness
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
- Issues with sensory perception such as blurred vision
- Mental issues such as memory loss or behavior changes
- Dilated pupil in one or both eyes
- Cerebral fluid drainage from ears or nose
- Loss of coordination
Some of these symptoms may fade over time, but many of them can be permanent.
What Attorney Dean Phillips Can Do for You
If another party caused your injury, then you need a personal injury lawyer who can ensure that the wrongdoer is accountable for your loss. Attorney Dean Phillips is an experienced negotiator and willing fighter for you so that you can obtain damages to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, or funeral expenses. He will determine the financial burden of living with a spinal cord or brain injury over the span of your life.
Mr. Phillips represents people with brain and spinal cord injuries in Marietta, Cobb County, Paulding County, Bartow County, Acworth, Austell, Powder Springs, Smyrna, Kennesaw and Woodstock. For a free consultation on your personal injury case, call 770-415-0933.